Motorola Moto Z Play is a top quality Android smartphone, which comes out with 5.5 inch display powered by 2 GHz octa-core processor along with 3 GB RAM and the device runs on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow operating system. If you have got this device and looking for a way to unlock its bootloader, you are in the right page as I have given a tutorial to unlock bootloader on Motorola Moto Z Play.
By following the tutorial given here, you will be able to unlock bootloader on Motorola Moto Z Play and thereby get the ability to gain root privileges in your smartphone.
WARNING: Unlocking bootloader on Motorola Moto Z Play might get your device bricked. So, if anything bad happens to your smartphone while following this tutorial, don’t held us liable.
1) Before getting started with the tutorial, take a complete backup of personal data in your smartphone using appropriate apps.
2) Next, download Motorola Moto Z Play USB Driver and install it in your computer. Only by doing this, you will be able to connect your smartphone with the computer successfully.
3) Now enable Developer Options in your device by following this path: Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number (tap on it for several times).
4) Next, enable USB Debugging mode by following this path: Settings -> Developer Options -> USB Debugging. Also enable OEM unlock by following the same path.
5) Make sure that your device has atleast 50-60% battery backup in it before getting started with this procedure. Also ensure that you have disabled antivirus programs from your computer as they tend to interrupt the bootloader unlocking procedure.
Once you have finished these prerequisites, you can move forward to the tutorial given below.
Tutorial To Unlock Bootloader On Motorola Moto Z Play:
1) To get started, download Minimal ADB and Fastboot and install it in your computer. Once done, launch its window.
2) Now connect your smartphone to the computer using the original USB data cable. Once done, reboot your device into the bootloader / fastboot mode by entering the following command in Minimal ADB and Fastboot:
adb reboot bootloader
3) Next, get the unlock data of your smartphone by entering the following command:
$ fastboot oem get_unlock_data
4) Now you will get the OEM unlock data string. Copy and paste it in a text document.
5) Next, visit Motorola Bootloader Unlocking webpage and log in using your Motorola account (if you don’t have one sign up for it).
In the next page, enter the OEM Unlock data string in Option 6 and click on “Can my device be unlocked” button.
6) If you Moto Z Play can be unlocked, you will be able to see the “Request Unlock Key” button. Click on it to get the Unlock key.
7) Now go and check your email for the Unlock key. Once you get it, copy and paste the unlock key in a text document.
8) Next, go to Minimal ADB and Fastboot window and enter the following command:
fastboot oem unlock your-unlock-key
Replace “your-unlock-key” with the key from your email.
That’s it. Now you have successfully unlocked bootloader on Motorola Moto Z Play. For confirmation, reboot your device into the bootloader mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down, Home and Power Buttons.
If you get the “WARNING BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED” message as shown in the screenshot above in your device screen, you have successfully unlocked your device’s bootloader.
If you encounter any issues while following this procedure, do let me know via comments.