OnePlux X is a good quality Android smartphone in the OnePlus series and it comes with 5 inch AMOLED touchscreen display, which is powered by 2.3 GHz quad-core processor along with a 3GB RAM and this device runs on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop operating system. If you are using this smartphone and looking for a way to root it, you are in the right page as I have given a step by step tutorial to root OnePlus X here.
By following the tutorial given in this page, you will be able to root OnePlus X smartphone by unlocking its bootloader. Once you have gained root privileges in your device, you will be able to remove pre-installed system applications, install custom-built Android applications, etc.
WARNING: Rooting your OnePlus X smartphone will void its warranty and you won’t be able to claim it back until you unroot your smartphone. Also, there is a chance that you might get your device bricked by following this tutorial and if that happens, don’t held me liable. Proceed at your OWN risk.
1) Before getting started with a rooting tutorial, it is important to take complete backup of personal data in your smartphone. So, take a complete backup of personal data using appropriate apps.
2) Next, enable Android debugging in your OnePlus smartphone by following this path: Settings -> Developer Options -> Debugging -> Android Debugging. If you can’t see Developer Options in your device, enable it by following this path: Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number (tap on it for 5-7 times to enable Developer Options).
3) Now, download OnePlus X USB driver and install it in your computer. Only by doing so, you will be able to connect your smartphone with the computer.
4) Ensure that your smartphone has at least 50-60% battery backup in it before getting started with the rooting procedure. Also, make sure that you have deactivated or disabled antivirus programs in your computer as they tend to interrupt the rooting procedure.
Once you have finished all these prerequisites, you can move forward to the tutorial given below.
Tutorial To Unlock Bootloader Of OnePlus X:
1) To get started, download Minimal ADB and Fastboot and install it in your computer. Once installed, open up its command prompt window in your computer.
2) Next, switch off your OnePlus X smartphone. Once done, boot it into the Fastboot mode by pressing the Volume Up and Power Keys simultaneously for few seconds until you see the screen given below.
3) Now, connect your OnePlus X device to the computer using the original USB data cable. Once done, go to Minimal ADB and Fastboot command window and enter the following command:
If your device is successfully connected, you will get a message similar to the one shown in the screenshot given below.
If you haven’t got the message shown in the screenshot then you will need to disconnect your smartphone from the computer, reinstall the OnePlus X USB drivers and reconnect your device.
4) Next, enter the following command in Minimal ADB and Fastboot to unlock bootloader of your smartphone:
fastboot oem unlock
If your device’s bootloader is successfully unlocked, you will get an “OKAY” message as shown in the screenshot given below.
That’s it. Now you have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your OnePlus X smartphone. Don’t restart your smartphone and keep your device in the Fastboot mode as we still need to flash TWRP recovery in your OnePlus X smartphone.
Tutorial To Install TWRP Recovery In OnePlus X Smartphone:
1) To get started, download OnePlus X TWRP recovery and save it in the same folder where you have installed the Minimal ADB and Fastboot in your system (C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot).
2) Next, enter the following command in the Minimal ADB and Fastboot window.
fastboot flash recovery oneplusx-recovery.img
Once you enter the above command, the recovery flashing process will begin and once it is finished, you can reboot your device.
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished flashing TWRP recovery in OnePlus X smartphone. Let’s find out how can root this device.
Tutorial To Root OnePlus X Smartphone:
1) To get started, download SuperSU to your computer. Once done, connect your smartphone to the computer and transfer the SuperSU file to your device’s internal storage. After successfully transferring the file, unplug your smartphone from the computer.
2) Now, turn off your OnePlus X smartphone and boot it into the TWRP recovery mode by pressing the Volume Down and Power Keys simultaneously. Once your device boots into the recovery mode, click on the install button.
3) Next, select the SuperSU zip file from your device’s internal storage to start the flashing process.
4) Once the flashing process is over, you will get the following message: Successful. Zip Install Complete. Now, click on the Reboot system button in TWRP recovery to finish the rooting process.
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished rooting OnePlus X smartphone. For confirmation, download Root Checker from Google Play store and check out the root permissions in your smartphone.
If you encounter any issues while following this OnePlus X rooting tutorial, do let me know via comments.