Moto E is a good quality budget Android smartphone from Motorola. The device comes with 4.5 inch IPS LCD touchscreen display powered by 1.2 GHz quad-core processor and it runs on Android 5.0 Lollipop operating system (upgradable to Android 5.1.1). If you are using this smartphone and want to root it, you are in the right page as I have given a tutorial to root Motorola Moto E here.
Just follow the instructions given in this page carefully to unlock Moto E bootloader, flash TWRP recovery (custom recovery) and root your device. Once you gain root privileges in your smartphone, you will be able to install stock or custom ROM firmware’s, remove pre-installed applications and do a lot more things.
WARNING: Rooting your Motorola smartphone will void its warranty. Also, if any damages occurs to your device while following the tutorial given in this page, don’t held me liable or responsible. Proceed at your OWN risk.
Step 1: To get started, take a complete backup of personal data in your smartphone using appropriate apps since the procedure given here is a data-loss process.
Step 2: Next, download Motorola Moto E USB driver and install it in your computer. Only by installing USB driver, you will be able to connect your Moto E with computer.
Step 3: Now, enable USB debugging mode in your smartphone first by enabling “Developer Options” in your device by following this path: Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number (tap on it until you see the message “You’re a Developer now“). Once done, enable USB debugging by following this path: Settings -> Developer Options -> USB debugging.
Step 4: Ensure that you have deactivated or uninstalled antivirus programs in your computer as well as Moto E. Also, ensure that your device has at least 50-60% battery backup in it before getting started with the rooting procedure.
Once you have finished these tasks, you can move forward to the tutorials given below.
Tutorial To Unlock Bootloader In Moto E:
Step 1: To get started download Minimal ADB and Fastboot and install it in your computer. Once done, launch its command prompt window.
Step 2: Next, switch off your smartphone and boot it into the bootloader mode by pressing the Volume Down, Power and Home buttons simultaneously. Now, connect your smartphone to the computer using the original USB data cable and enter the following command in Minimal ADB and Fastboot command window:
$ fastboot oem get_unlock_data
Step 3: Now, copy the OEM Unlock data string and save it in a notepad.
Step 4: Next visit Motorola Bootloader Unlocking webpage and sign in to your Motorola account (if you don’t have one, sign up for it). Now to check whether your device’s bootloader can be unlocked, enter the OEM unlock string in Option 6 and click on “Can my device be unlocked“.
Step 5: If your device can be unlocked, you will see the “Request Unlock Key” option as shown in the screenshot below. Click the blue button.
Step 6: Once you have clicked the “Request Unlock Key” button, Motorola team will mail you the unlock key.
Step 7: Next, copy and paste the unlock key to a notepad in your computer. Next, enter the following command along with unlock key:
fastboot oem unlock your-unlock-key (replace your-unlock-key with the key you have saved in the notepad)
That’s it. Now you have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your smartphone. For confirmation, reboot your device and then boot into the bootloader mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down, Home and Power Buttons simultaneously for few seconds. If you have successfully unlocked the bootloader, then you will get a warning message as shown in the screenshot below.
Now, let’s find out the tutorial to root Moto E by flashing TWRP recovery.
Tutorial To Root Motorola Moto E:
1) To get started, download TWRP recovery image for Moto E (recovery-twrp.img) and save it in the same folder where you have installed Minimal ADB and Fastboot (which is usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot).
2) Next, download SuperSU zip package and save it in your computer. Next, connect your Moto E to the computer using original USB data cable and transfer the SuperSU zip file to the internal memory of your device. Once done, unplug your smartphone from the computer.
3) Now switch off your smartphone and boot it into the bootloader mode by pressing and holding the Home, Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously. Once done, connect it to your computer and then launch the Minimal ADB and Fastboot window.
4) To boot into the TWRP recovery mode, enter the following command in Minimal ADB and Fastboot:
fastboot boot recovery-twrp.img
5) Now, your device will boot into the TWRP recovery mode. Next, click on “Install” and choose the SuperSU zip package which you have saved in your device (Step 2) to begin the flashing process.
6) Once the flashing process is finished, click on “Reboot System” to reboot your Moto E smartphone.
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished rooting Motorola Moto E Android smartphone by unlocking its bootloader. For confirmation, download and install the Root Checker app from Google Play store, and click on “Verify Root“. If your device is successfully rooted, you will get the “Root Access Is Available” message.
If you encounter any issues while following the bootloader unlocking or rooting tutorial, do let me know via comments.