If you are using Sony Xperia C smartphone, then I am certain that you would not be happy with the lack of OTA updates from Sony. Well, if you would really want to upgrade your Android version even if they are not officially from Sony, then you can do it. For that, first you will need to install a custom recovery in your device. If you are not sure how, then you are in the right page as I have given a step by step tutorial to install Philz CWM recovery in Sony Xperia C here.
Just by following the tutorial given below, you will be able to install Calvik Touch Recovery in your Sony Xperia C (C2305) android smartphone. Once you have installed a custom recovery, you can easily flash custom ROM firmware’s in your device and upgrade your Android firmware version.
WARNING: The procedure for installing CWM recovery in Sony Xperia C given below has worked for us. If it doesn’t work for you, or if following this tutorial gets your device bricked, don’t held me liable or responsible. Please proceed at your own risk.
1) Before getting started with the custom recovery installation tutorial, it is always important to take a complete backup of personal data in your smartphone. So, take backup either using Sony PC Companion or using any other similar app.
2) Next, make sure that your device has at least 50-60% battery backup in it before getting started with the procedure.
3) Now, ensure that your Sony Xperia C smartphone is rooted. If not, follow this procedure to root Xperia C before getting started with the installation process.
Once you have finished all these preliminary tasks, you can move forward to the main tutorial given below.
Update (Thanks to Anthony finix):
If your device’s S1 boot Version is 2.14.J.0.68, you will need to flash 16.0.B.2.16 version before following the above method. To do that, follow the simple steps given below.
1) Download WMshua Perfect Flash tool and install it in your computer. Once done, launch its Window.
2) Next, download Xperia C 16.0.B.2.16 ftf file to your computer.
3) Now go to WMshua Perfect Flash tool, click the second option in the navigation bar and choose the “.ftf” file using the “Browse” button (although everything is in Chinese, you can easily do this process by checking out the screenshot given below).
4) Next, switch off your smartphone. Once done, connect your smartphone to the computer using the original USB data cable while processing the “Volume Down” button. If you have installed the USB drivers already in your computer, Xperia C will connect successfully with the PC.
5) Now click on “Flash” button WMshua Perfect Flash tool to launch the flashing process and it will take atleast 30 minutes to get completed (wait until you get 100% confirmation or if it stays at 97% for too long, you will need to unplug your smartphone and redo this process again).
Once you have flashed the 16.0.B.2.16 boot version, you can follow the steps given below.
Tutorial To Flash Philz CWM Recovery In Sony Xperia C:
1) To get started, download CWM recovery for Xperia C and save it in your device.
2) Next, go to Google Play store, search for Mobileuncle MTK Tools and install the app in your device.
3) Once the app is installed, launch up its screen by clicking on the App Icon in your device. Now, in the Home screen of Mobileuncle MTK tools, click on “Recovery Update“.
4) Now, in the “Recovery Update” screen, you will be able to see the CWM recovery for your device (recovery.img) which you have downloaded in Step 1. Tap on it to begin the flashing process.
5) Once you clicked on “recovery.img“, a prompt will show up with the message “Are sure flash recovery! Use Recovery file: recovery.img (6144kb)?“. Now, click “Ok” to begin the Calvik Touch Recovery flashing process.
6) That’s it. Now you have successfully finished flashing CWM recovery in Sony Xperia C smartphone. To confirm, switch off your smartphone and press and hold the Power Button and Volume Down Button simultaneously. If you can see the Calvik Touch Recovery options as shown in the screenshot below, then you have successfully install CWM recovery in Xperia C.
If you encounter any issues while following this Custom Recovery installation procedure, just drop in a comment below. I will get back to you with a solution as soon as possible.