Google Nexus 6P or Huawei Nexus 6P is a top quality Android smartphone released in 2015. The device comes with 5.7 inch AMOLED touchscreen display, which is powered by 2 GHz quad-core processor along with 3GB RAM and it runs on Android 6.0 Marshmallow operating system. If you are using this smartphone and looking for a way to root it, you are in the right page as I have given a tutorial to root Google Nexus 6P here.
By following the rooting tutorial given here, you will be able to unlock bootloader, flash TWRP recovery and root Google Nexus 6P smartphone. Once you have gained root privileges in your device, you will be able to install custom ROM firmware’s, stock ROM firmware, custom-built Android applications, etc.
WARNING: Rooting your Nexus smartphone will void its warranty and you won’t be able to claim anything until you unroot your device. Also, sometimes rooting might get your device bricked. So, if anything bad happens to your smartphone while following the tutorial given here, don’t held me responsible. Proceed at your OWN risk.
1) To get started, take a complete backup of personal data in your smartphone using appropriate apps. If you device gets crashed and if the device data gets lost during the rooting procedure, we can use this backup to restore the data.
2) Next, download Google Nexus 6P USB driver and install it in your computer. Only by doing this, you will be able to connect your smartphone with the computer successfully.
3) Now, enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging mode in your smartphone by following this path: Settings -> Developer Options. If Developer options is not enabled in your device, enable it by following this path: Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number (tap on it for 5-7 times to enable this option).
4) Make sure that your smartphone has at least 50-60% battery backup in it before getting started with the rooting procedure. Also, ensure that you have deactivated antivirus programs in your computer as they tend to interrupt the rooting procedure.
Upon finishing all these prerequisites, you can move on to the rooting tutorial given below.
Tutorial To Unlock Bootloader And Flash TWRP Recovery In Google Nexus 6P:
1) To get started, download Minimal ADB and Fastboot and install it in your computer. Once done, launch its window.
2) Next, switch off your smartphone and boot it into the Fastboot / Bootloader mode by pressing and holding the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously. Once your device boots into the Fastboot mode, connect it to your computer using the original USB data cable.
3) Now, enter the following command in Minimal ADB and Fastboot to confirm whether the device is successfully connected with your computer:
If your device is successfully connected, you will see your device’s ID in the Minimal ADB and Fastboot window. If not, you will need to unplug your device and reinstall the USB drivers again.
4) Next, unlock the bootloader of your Google Nexus 6P device by entering the following command:
fastboot flashing unlock
Your device’s bootloader will be unlocked in a minute or two after entering this command.
5) Now, unplug your device from the computer and reboot it. Once done, download TWRP for Nexus 6P and save it in the installation folder of Minimal ADB and Fastboot in your computer (C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot).
6) Next, boot your device again into the Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer. Once done, enter the following command in the Minimal ADB and Fastboot to flash the TWRP recovery.
fastboot flash recovery [twrp-filename].img
(You will need to replace [twrp-filename] with the name of TWRP recovery image file).
That’s it. Now you have successfully flashed TWRP recovery in your Nexus 6P smartphone. Now, let’s find out how you can root your device.
Tutorial To Root Google Nexus 6P:
1) To get started, download SuperSU zip package to your computer. Next, connect your smartphone to the computer using the original USB data cable and transfer the SuperSU zip package to the internal memory of your device. Once done, unplug your device.
2) Next, boot your Nexus 6P into the TWRP recovery mode by pressing and holding the Power and Volume Up keys simultaneously. Once your device boots into the recovery mode, you can install the SuperSU package by clicking on “Install” and then by selecting the SuperSU package in your device.
3) Now, reboot your device to finish the rooting process.
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished rooting Google Nexus 6P smartphone. For confirmation, open up your device’s App menu and look for SuperSU app. If you can find it there, your device is successfully rooted. Also, you can confirm the root privileges of your smartphone by using the Root Checker for Android app.
If you encounter any issues while following the rooting tutorial given here, do let me know via comments.