OnePlus 3 is a high quality Android smartphone released by the Chinese smartphone company, OnePlus. If you are using this smartphone and looking for a way to root it, you are in the right page as I have given a tutorial to root OnePlus 3 here.
By following the tutorial given here, you will be able to flash TWRP recovery and root OnePlus 3 Android smartphone thereby get the ability to install custom ROM firmware, custom-built Android applications, etc.
WARNING: Rooting your OnePlus 3 smartphone will void its warranty and you won’t be able to claim it unless you unroot your device. So, think well about it before getting started with the rooting procedure.
1) The rooting procedure given here is not a data-loss process but it won’t hurt to have a backup of your smartphone’s personal data. So, take a complete backup of personal data in your smartphone before getting started with the procedure.
2) Next, download OnePlus 3 USB Driver and install it in your computer as it is the only way to connect your smartphone to the computer.
3) Now, enable “Developer Options” by following this path: Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number (tap on it for 5-7 times to enable Developer Options). Next, enable “USB Debugging” by following this path: Settings -> Developer Options -> USB Debugging.
4) Ensure that your device has atleast 50-60% battery backup in it before getting started with the rooting procedure. Also, make sure that you have uninstalled antivirus programs from your computer as they have a habit of interrupting the rooting process.
5) Next, make sure that you have unlocked bootloader on your OnePlus 3 smartphone. If you don’t know how to do it, follow our guide to unlock to bootloader on OnePlus 3.
Once you have finished these prerequisites, you can move forward to the tutorial given below.
Tutorial To Flash TWRP Recovery In OnePlus 3:
1) To get started, download Minimal ADB and Fastboot and install it in your computer. Once done, download OnePlus 3 TWRP recovery and save it in the installation folder of Minimal ADB and Fastboot. Now, launch Minimal ADB and Fastboot Window.
2) Next, connect your smartphone to the computer using the original USB data cable. Once done, reboot your smartphone to the fastboot / bootloader mode by entering the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
3) Now, flash TWRP recovery by entering the following command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
4) Once the flashing process is finished, reboot your device by entering the following command:
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished flashing TWRP recovery in your OnePlus 3 smartphone. Let’s find out the tutorial for rooting OnePlus 3 device.
Tutorial To Root OnePlus 3:
1) To get started, download SuperSU and save it in your computer. Once done, connect your smartphone to the computer using the original USB data cable and transfer the SuperSU file to internal memory. Once done, unplug your smartphone from the computer.
2) Now, switch off your smartphone and boot into the TWRP recovery by holding Volume Down and Power Button. Next, select “Install” in TWRP recovery mode and select the “SuperSU” file to start the flashing process.
3) Once the flashing process is finished, reboot your device by selecting “Reboot” option.
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished rooting OnePlus 3 Android smartphone. For confirmation, open up your Apps menu and look for the SuperSU app. If you can find it there, your device is successfully rooted. Alternatively, you can confirm the root privileges of your smartphone by using the Root Checker for Android app.
If you encounter any issues while following this rooting procedure do let me know via comments.