Motorola Moto Z Play is a high quality Android smartphone, which comes out with 5.5 inch display powered by 2 GHz octa-core processor along with 3 GB and it runs on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. If you have got this device and looking for a way to root it, you are in the right page as I have given a tutorial to root Motorola Moto Z Play here.
By following the tutorial given here, you will be able to flash TWRP recovery and root Motorola Moto Z Play. Once you have gained root privileges in your smartphone, you will be able to install custom-built Android apps and do a lot more things.
WARNING: Rooting your Moto Z Play will void its warranty and you won’t be able to claim it until you unroot your device. So, think well about it before getting started with the rooting procedure.
1) Before getting started with the rooting procedure, take a complete backup of personal data in your device using appropriate apps as the process will wipe out your data.
2) Next, download Motorola Moto Z Play USB driver and install it in your computer.
3) Now enable USB debugging in your smartphone by following this path: Settings -> Developer Options -> USB Debugging.
5) Ensure that you have uninstalled or deactivated antivirus programs from the computer as they have a habit of disrupting the rooting procedure, which might get your device bricked.
Once you have finished all these prerequisites, you can move forward to the tutorial given below.
Tutorial To Flash TWRP Recovery In Motorola Moto Z Play:
1) To get started, download Minimal ADB and Fastboot and install it in your computer. Next, download Moto Z Play TWRP recovery, extract the zip file and save “recovery.img” in the installation folder of Minimal ADB and Fastboot (C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot).
2) Now connect your smartphone to the computer using the original USB data cable. Once done, launch Minimal ADB and Fastboot and enter the following command to reboot your device into bootloader / fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
3) Next, flash the TWRP recovery in your device by entering the following command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
4) Once the flashing process is over, reboot your device by entering the following command:
That’s it. Now you have successfully flashed TWRP recovery in your Moto Z Play smartphone. Let’s find out the tutorial for rooting your device.
Tutorial To Root Motorola Moto Z Play:
1) To get started, download SuperSU file and save it in your computer. Next, connect your smartphone to the computer using the original USB data cable and transfer the download SuperSU file to your device’s internal memory. Once done, unplug your device from the computer.
2) Next, switch off your smartphone. Now reboot your device into the TWRP recover by pressing and holding the Volume down and Power button simultaneously for few seconds.
3) Now click on “Install” and choose the “SuperSU” file to begin the flashing process.
4) Once the flashing process is finished, you will need to disable forced encryption and dm-verity by formatting data in your device. To do that, go to TWRP recovery main menu and click on Wipe -> Advanced wipe.
5) Now flash SuperSU again by following Step 3. Once done, reboot your device by using the “Reboot” button in TWRP recovery home screen.
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished rooting Motorola Moto Z Play. For confirmation, open up your apps menu and look for SuperSU app. If you can find it there, your device is successfully rooted. Alternatively, you can confirm the root privileges of your smartphone by using the Root checker for Android app.
If you encounter any issues while following this tutorial, do let me know via comments.