LG V20 is a highly quality Android smartphone, which comes out with 5.7 inch display powered by 2.15 GHz processor along with 4 GB RAM and the device runs on Android 7.0 Nougat operating system. If you own this device and looking for a way to root it, you are in the right page as I have given a tutorial to root LG V20 here.
By following this tutorial, you will be able flash TWRP recovery and root LG V20 smartphone successfully.
WARNING: Rooting LG V20 will void its warranty and you won’t be able to claim it unless you unroot your device. Also, if you don’t follow the steps given here carefully, you might brick your device. So, if anything bad happens to your smartphone, don’t held me liable.
1) Before getting started with the rooting procedure, take a complete of personal data in your smartphone as the tutorial given here is a data-loss process.
2) Next, download LG V20 USB driver and install it in your computer as it is the only way to connect your device with the PC successfully.
3) Now enable USB debugging in your smartphone by following this path: Settings -> Developer Options -> USB debugging.
4) Next, unlock LG V20 Bootloader.
5) Make sure that your smartphone has atleast 50% battery backup in it as the rooting process is a time consuming one. Also, ensure that you have disabled antivirus programs in your computer as they tend to interrupt the rooting procedure.
Once you have finished all these prerequisites, you can move forward to the rooting tutorial given below.
Tutorial To Flash TWRP Recovery In LG V20:
1) To get started, download Minimal ADB and Fastboot and install it in your computer. Once done, download the following files and save it in the Minimal ADB and Fastboot installation folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot).
2) Now download LG V20 TWRP recovery to your computer. Once done, connect your smartphone to the computer using the original USB data cable and transfer the TWRP recovery file to your device’s internal memory.
3) Next, launch the Minimal ADB and Fastboot window. Once done, push the recowvery files to your smartphone’s tmp folder by entering the following command:
adb push dirtycow /data/local/tmp
adb push recowvery-applypatch /data/local/tmp
adb push recowvery-app_process64 /data/local/tmp
adb push recowvery-run-as /data/local/tmp
4) Once the files are pushed to your device’s tmp folder, enter the following command:
chmod 0777 *
./dirtycow /system/bin/applypatch recowvery-applypatch
5) Once the above script finished running, enter the following command:
./dirtycow /system/bin/app_process64 recowvery-app_process64
Your LG V20 device might look like crashing but don’t panic.
6) Once the above process is finished, enter the following command:
7) Now, enter the following command:
adb logcat -s recowvery
Wait until you get the confirmation message after entering the above command. Once you get it, press Ctrl + C buttons in your keyboard.
8) Next, reboot your device and flash stock recovery by entering the following command:
adb shell reboot recovery
9) Once done, enter the following command:
Wait until you get the “permissive” message.
10) Now flash “recowvery patched boot image” by entering the following command:
./dirtycow /system/bin/run-as recowvery-run-as
run-as exec ./recowvery-applypatch boot
11) Next, get a shell with root access by entering the following command:
12) To finish the process and flash TWRP recovery, enter the following command:
dd if=/sdcard/twrp-3.0.2-0-beta4-h918.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished flashing TWRP recovery in your LG V20 smartphone. Let’s find out the tutorial for disabling Force Encrypt and root LG V20.
Tutorial To Root LG V20:
1) To get started, download SuperSU to your computer. Once done, connect your smartphone to the computer using the original USB data cable and transfer the SuperSU file to your device’s internal memory.
2) Next, reboot your device into the TWRP recovery mode by entering the following command in Minimal ADB and Fastboot:
adb reboot recovery
3) Now your device will boot into the TWRP recovery mode. Here, click on “Install” and select the SuperSU file. Once selected, swipe your finger on your smartphone window to select the “Swipe to Confirm Flash” and begin the flashing process.
Once the flashing process is finished, SuperSU will be installed. Also, your device’s boot image will be patched to not force encrypt your smartphone on boot.
Since your LG V20 is already encrypted, you have to format your smartphone’s Data atleast once to decrypt it. If you don’t want that, you can skip Step 4.
4) After flashing SuperSU in your smartphone, select Wipe -> Advanced Wipe in TWRP and choose “Data” to delete all data from your smartphone.
5) Now your device will be decrypted and SuperSU has to be reinstalled. Follow Step 3 again and reinstall SuperSU. Once installed, you can reboot your smartphone by selecting the “Reboot” option in TWRP main menu.
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished rooting LG V20 smartphone. For confirmation, open up your apps menu and look for SuperSU app. If you can find it there, your device is successfully rooted. Alternatively, you can confirm the root privileges of your smartphone by using the Root Checker for Android app.
If you encounter any issues while following this rooting tutorial, do let me know via comments.