In the previous tutorial, I have explained how you can root OnePlus 2 smartphone. Now, let’s find out how you can root your OnePlus one smartphone which is the predecessor of OnePlus 2 and the first flagship killer of the year 2014. Just follow the instructions given in this page and get root privileges.
Once you have rooted your OnePlus one smartphone, you will be able to install custom ROM firmware’s, remove pre-installed applications, install custom recovery images, etc.
WARNING: Rooting your OnePlus one smartphone will void its warranty and you won’t be able to claim it, until you unroot your device. Also, if you don’t follow the instructions carefully your device will get bricked and if that happens, don’t held me liable. Proceed at your OWN risk.
1) Before getting started with a rooting or ROM installation procedure, you should always take a backup of personal data in your smartphone. So take a complete backup initially.
2) Next, download OnePlus One USB driver and install it your computer. Only by installing the USB driver, you will be able to connect your smartphone with the computer.
3) Now you will need to enable USB debugging by following this path: Settings -> Developer Options -> USB debugging. If you can’t see the Developer options, then enable it by following this path: Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number (tap on it for several times to enable this option).
4) Make sure that you have deactivated or disabled antivirus applications from your computer because they tend to have a habit of interrupting the rooting procedure which might result in a bricked device.
5) Download Minimal ADB and Fastboot and install it in your computer.
Once you have finished all these tasks, you can move forward with the tutorials given here.
Tutorial To Unlock Bootloader And Install TWRP Recovery In OnePlus One:
1) To get started, download TWRP recovery for OnePlus One smartphone and save it in the folder where you have installed the Minimal ADB and Fastboot. Once done, launch the Minimal ADB and Fastboot command prompt.
2) Next, switch off your smartphone and boot it into the Fastboot mode by pressing the Volume Up and Power buttons simultaneously. Once the device boots into the Fastboot mode, connect it to your computer using the original USB data cable.
3) Now in the command prompt, enter the following command:
If you have installed the USB drivers properly, then your device will show up in the command prompt window.
4) Now, enter the following command to unlock your device’s bootloader:
fastboot oem unlock
5) That’s it. Now you have successfully unlocked your device’s bootloader. To reboot your device, enter the following command:
6) Once your device reboots normally, switch it off again and boot it into the Fastboot mode by pressing the Volume Up and Power buttons simultaneously. Then, connect it to your computer.
7) Now, go to the Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder and rename the downloaded TWRP recovery for OnePlus One to recovery.img. Once done, launch the Minimal ADB and Fastboot again.
8) Next, enter the following command:
If you device shows up in the command prompt, then you have nothing to worry.
9) Now, enter the following command to flash TWRP recovery image in your device.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
10) Once the flashing process gets finished, reboot your device by enter the following command:
That’s it. Now you have successfully flashed TWRP recovery in your smartphone. Now, let’s find out the way to root OnePlus One device.
Tutorial To Root OnePlus One Smartphone:
1) To get started, download SuperSU and save it in your computer. Next, connect your smartphone with the computer, transfer the SuperSU to your device’s internal memory and once the transfer is finished, disconnect your device from the computer.
2) Now, switch off your smartphone and boot it into the recovery mode by pressing the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously. Once you are in the recovery mode, click on “Install“.
3) Now, you will be asked the Select the Zip file. Select the SuperSU zip file to begin the flashing process.
4) Once the flashing process is finished, you will get the “Zip Install Complete” message. Now, click on the “Reboot System” option to reboot your device.
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished rooting OnePlus One smartphone. For confirmation, open up your Apps menu and look for the SuperSU app. If it shows up there, then your device is successfully rooted. Alternatively, you can use the root checker app from Google Play store to confirm the root privileges of your smartphone.
If you encounter any issues while following the rooting, bootloader unlocking or TWRP installation tutorial, do let me know via comments.