Sony Xperia M4 Aqua is a top quality Android smartphone, which comes with 5 inch IPS LCD touchscreen display powered by 1.5 GHz quad-core processor along with 2 GB RAM and the device runs on Android 5.0 Lollipop operating system which is upgradable upto Android 6.0 Marshmallow. If you are using this smartphone and looking for a way to root it, you are in the right page as I have given a tutorial to root Sony Xperia M4 Aqua here.
By following the tutorials given here, you will be able to install TWRP recovery and root all variants of Sony Xperia M4 Aqua (E2303, E2306, E2333, E2353, E2363). Once you have gained root privileges, you will be able to install custom ROM firmware, install custom-built Android applications and do a lot more things with your device.
WARNING: Rooting your Sony smartphone will void its warranty. Also, if you don’t follow the rooting procedure carefully, you might get your device bricked. So, if anything bad happens to your smartphone while following the tutorial given here, do not held me responsible. Proceed at your OWN risk.
1) Before getting started with this rooting procedure, make sure that you have taken a complete backup of personal data in your smartphone using appropriate apps. We will use this backup to restore the data, if your phone gets crashed during the rooting process.
2) Next, download Sony Xperia M4 USB driver and install it in your computer since this is the only way to connect your Sony device with computer.
3) Now, enable USB debugging mode in your smartphone by following this path: Settings -> Developer Options -> USB Debugging. If Developer options is not available in your Settings screen, enable it by following this path: Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number (tap on it for 5-7 times).
4) Next, Enable OEM Unlock in your device by following this path: Settings -> Developer Options -> Enable OEM Unlock.
5) Make sure that your device’s bootloader is unlocked. If it is not, then you will need to follow our tutorial to unlock bootloder of Sony Xperia M4 Aqua.
6) Ensure that your device has at least 50-60% battery backup before getting started with the rooting procedure.
Once you have finished all these prerequisites, you can move forward with the rooting tutorial given below.
Tutorial To Install TWRP Recovery In Sony Xperia M4 Aqua:
1) To get started, download Minimal ADB and Fastboot and install it in your computer. Once done, launch its Window.
2) Next, download Sony Xperia M4 TWRP recovery image and SuperSU zip file to your computer. Once done, rename the recovery image to recovery.img and transfer both the recovery image and SuperSU files to the Minimal ADB and Fastboot installation folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot).
3) Now, switch off your smartphone and boot it into the bootloader/fastboot mode. To do so, press the Power and Volume Down keys simultaneously for few seconds and once your smartphone vibrates, press the Volume Down key repeatedly. Once your device is in bootloader mode, connect it to your computer using the original USB data cable.
4) Next, enter the following command in Minimal ADB and Fastboot to check the connectivity of your smartphone:
5) Now, enter the following command to flash the TWRP recovery in Sony Xperia M4:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
That’s it. Now you have successfully flashed TWRP recovery in your Sony Xperia M4 Aqua smartphone. Although the TWRP recovery is installed, don’t boot into the recovery mode in your device because you will need to mount the partitions manually as there is no GUI.
So, mount the partitions manually by following the procedure given here.
1) Make sure that your device is in Fastboot/bootloader mode and connected to your device using original USB data cable.
2) Next, open up Minimal ADB and Fastboot window and enter the following command:
3) Now, you will get the following prompt: ~ #.
4) Next, enter the following three commands simultaneously to mount the partitions:
mount -w /dev/block/platform/7824900.sdhci/by-name/system /system
mount -w /dev/block/platform/7824900.sdhci/by-name/userdata /data
mount -w /dev/block/platform/7824900.sdhci/by-name/cache /cache
That’s it. Now, you have successfully finished mounting partitions in your Sony Xperia M4 Aqua smartphone. Let’s find out the tutorial to root your device.
Tutorial To Root Sony Xperia M4 Smartphone:
1) To get started, make sure that your device is in bootloader/Fastboot mode and connected to your computer using the original USB data cable.
2) Next, open the Minimal ADB and Fastboot window and enter the following command:
Since there is no external SD available in Sony Xperia M4, we will have to use the sideload method to installing the SuperSU zip file.
3) Now, enter the following command to flash the SuperSU zip file:
4) Next, enter the following command to reboot your device:
That’s it. Now, you have successfully finished rooting Sony Xpera M4 Aqua smartphone. For confirmation, install Root Checker for Android from Google Play store and confirm the root privileges in your device.
If you encounter any issues while following this rooting procedure, do let me know via comments.