Samsung Galaxy S5 is a good quality Android smartphone, which comes out with 5.1 inch super AMOLED touchscreen display powered by 2.5 GHz quad-core processor along with 2 GB RAM and the device runs on Android 5.0.1 Lollipop operating system. If you are using this smartphone and looking for a way to root it, you are in the right page as I have given a step by step tutorial to root Samsung Galaxy S5 here.
By following the rooting tutorial given here, you will be able to root Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone by flashing CWM recovery in it. Once you have gained root privileges, you will be able to install custom ROM firmware’s, install custom-built Android applications, remove unwanted pre-installed system applications and do a lot more things with your device.
WARNING: Rooting your Samsung smartphone will void its warranty and you won’t be able to claim it until you unroot your device. Also, rooting might sometimes get your device bricked. So, if anything bad happens to your smartphone while following this tutorial, do not held me liable. Proceed at your OWN risk.
1) To get started, take a complete backup of personal data in your smartphone using Samsung Kies or related apps. We can use this backup to restore your data if the device gets crashed.
2) Next, enable Developer Options in your smartphone by following this path: Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number (tap on it for 5-7 times to enable it). Once done, enable USB debugging mode by following this path: Settings -> Developer Options -> USB debugging.
3) Now, download Samsung Galaxy S5 USB driver and install it in your computer. Only by installing the USB driver, you will be able to connect your smartphone with the computer successfully.
4) Next, make sure that you have uninstalled or deactivated antivirus programs from your computer. Also, ensure that your device has at least 50-60% battery backup in it before getting started with the rooting procedure.
Once you have finished all these prerequisites, you can move forward with the rooting tutorial given below.
Tutorial To Flash CWM Recovery In Samsung Galaxy S5:
1) To get started, make sure that your device model is mentioned below:
- T-Mobile Galaxy S5 SM-G900T
- International Exynos Galaxy S5 SM-G900H
- Sprint Galaxy S5 SM-G900P
- Middle East/South America Galaxy S5 SM-G900M
- US Cellular Galaxy S5 SM-G900R4
- Metro PCS Galaxy S5 SM-G900T1
- International/European/Asian Galaxy S5 SM-G900F
- Canadian Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8
If your device’s model is different from the Samsung Galaxy S5 models mentioned above, don’t try this tutorial. It will not work.
2) Next, download Odin, Philz Touch CWM recovery (works for all versions except SM-G900GH) or CWM recovery (if your device model is International Exynos Galaxy S5 SM-G900H) and SuperSU zip file to your computer.
3) Now, extract the Odin zip package and click on the .exe file to launch Odin Window. Once done, switch off your smartphone and boot it into the download mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down, Home and Power buttons simultaneously. Once your device boots into the download mode, connect it to your computer using the original USB data cable.
4) If you have installed the Samsung USB drivers properly in your computer, Odin will identify your device and you will get an “Added” message in its window. Also, the ID:COM section in Odin will turn yellow.
5) Now, click on the PDA button and select the Philz Touch recovery file (.tar.md5 file) in your computer.
5) Next, uncheck Re-partition option and click on the “Start” button to begin the flashing process.
6) Once the flashing process is finished, you will get a “PASS” message and your device will reboot automatically as well.
7) Now, you can unplug your smartphone from the computer.
That’s it. Now, you have successfully finished flashing Philz Touch CWM recovery in your smartphone. Now, let’s find out the tutorial to root your device.
Tutorial To Root Samsung Galaxy S5:
1) To get started, connect your smartphone to the computer using the original USB data cable and transfer the SuperSU zip file (which you have already downloaded to your computer) to your device’s internal memory. Once done, disconnect your smartphone from the computer.
2) Now, switch off your smartphone and boot it into the recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Power and Home buttons simultaneously for few seconds.
3) Once your device boots into the recovery mode, click on “Install Zip” and select the “SuperSU” file you have transferred to your device in Step 1 to launch the flashing process.
4) Once the flashing process is finished, reboot your device.
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished rooting Samsung Galaxy S5 Android smartphone. For confirmation, install Root checker for Android from Google Play store and confirm the root privileges in your smartphone.
If you encounter any issues while following the rooting procedure given here, do let me know via comments.