Google Nexus 5X is a high quality Android smartphone, which comes with 5.2 inch IPS LCD touchscreen display powered by 1.44 GHz quad-core processor along with 2 GB RAM and the device runs on Android 6.0 Marshmallow operating system. If you are using this smartphone and looking for a way to root it, you are in the right page as I have given a step by step tutorial to root Google Nexus 5X here.
By following the tutorial given here, you will be able to flash TWRP recovery in your Nexus 5X device and gain root privileges successfully. Once you have rooted your smartphone, you will be able to remove unwanted pre-installed system apps, install custom ROM firmware’s, install custom-built Android applications, etc.
WARNING: Rooting your Android smartphone will void its warranty. Also, sometimes rooting might get your device bricked. So, if anything bad happens to your smartphone while following the tutorial given here, do not held me liable. Proceed at your OWN risk.
1) Before getting started with the rooting procedure of any Android smartphone, it is recommended to take backup of personal data in the device. So, take a complete backup of personal data in your Nexus 5X smartphone using appropriate apps.
2) Next, download Nexus 5X USB driver and install it in your computer as it is only way to connect your device with the PC or Laptop computer successfully.
3) Now, enable Developer Options in your device by following this path: Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number (tap on it for 5-7 times to enable Developer Options). Next, enable USB debugging mode in your smartphone by following this path: Settings -> Developer Options -> USB debugging. Also, enable OEM unlocking by following the path: Settings -> Developer Options -> OEM Unlocking.
4) Next, ensure that your smartphone has at least 50-60% battery backup in it before getting started with the rooting procedure.
Once you have finished all these prerequisites, you can move forward to the rooting procedure given below.
Tutorial To Flash TWRP Recovery In Google Nexus 5X:
1) To get started, download Minimal ADB and Fastboot and install it in your computer. Once done, launch its window.
2) Next, switch off your smartphone and boot it into the Fastboot mode by pressing and holding the Power and Volume Down keys simultaneously. Once your device boots into the bootloader mode, connect it to your computer using the original USB data cable.
3) Now, to check whether your device is successfully connected to the computer, enter the following command in Minimal ADB and Fastboot:
If you have installed the USB drivers properly and if your device is connected to the computer successfully, you will see your device ID in the Minimal ADB and Fastboot command window.
4) Next, we need to unlock the bootloader of your device. To do so, enter the following command:
fastboot flashing unlock
It will take a minute or two for the process to get completed and once it does, your device’s bootloader will be unlocked.
5) Now, reboot your device and disconnect it from your computer. Once done, download TWRP for Nexus 5X and save the file in the exact installation folder of Minimal ADB and Fastboot (C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot).
6) Next, switch off your device and boot it into the Fastboot mode using the Power and Volume Down keys. Once done, connect it to your computer.
7) Now, enter the following command in Minimal ADB and Fastboot to flash TWRP recovery:
fastboot flash recovery [twrp-filename].img
(Replace TWRP-filename with the exact TWRP recovery file name).
It will take a minute or two for the process to get completed.
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished installing TWRP recovery in your Google Nexus 5X smartphone. Let’s find out how you can root your device.
Tutorial To Root Google Nexus 5X:
1) To get started, download SuperSU zip package and save it in your computer. Once done, connect your smartphone to the computer and transfer the SuperSU zip package to your device’s internal memory. After successfully transferring the file, disconnect your device from the computer.
2) Now, boot your device into the recovery mode by switching it off and then by pressing and holding the Power and Volume Up buttons simultaneously.
3) Once your device boots into the TWRP recovery, click on “Install” and then point the SuperSU zip package to start the rooting process.
Once the rooting process is finished, you can reboot your smartphone.
That’s it. Now you have successfully finished rooting Google Nexus 5X Android smartphone. For confirmation, install Root Checker for Android app and confirm the root privileges in your smartphone.
If you encounter any issues while following the rooting procedure given here, do let me know via comments.